Monday, May 21, 2007

The RSA (Reality show addict)

As the American idol 3 has successfully ended and the finalists have all gotten multi/million dollar music careers, I have come to realize that I have no life left. I have spent countless afternoons watching this show, in addition to the re-runs, the daily internet updates about the contestants and anything and everything that covered the show. I cried with all the contestants who were voted off. I sang ‘She Bangs’ all the way with William Hung. Even begged friends in America to VOTE for Fantasia Barino. I hated Simon Cowell for his guts. I adored Paula for her choice of words in front of the worse singers in America.

For those of you who think I’m talking absolute Greek, American Idol is a reality show that tries to find the next biggest star that can sing dance and take criticism from the judges. The most interesting thing about the show is that these people are real and ordinary who evolve into stunning individuals over time. It’s a real Cinderella story and gives you hope that one day somebody will discover you. Coming back to the same point… I was about to make a confession. I am a recovering RSA (reality show addict). I don’t stay up half the night to watch the models cut and dye their hair to make themselves more flexible to cosmetic companies anymore, I don’t cross my fingers for my favorite blonde to get a rose from the bachelor, I don’t see every cockroach in the house as my next snack in order to practice for The survivor anymore, and most of all I have decided that if I ever have to choose between love or money, it would be money.

Instead I have come up with a list of things I can do in place of watching these reality shows. Here are a few: During American Idol I can sit and learn Origami, For love or money I can come up with 3 different types of Halloween costumes every week, in “The Bachelor” time slot I can organize my books alphabetically, by size, by number of pages , by colors etc.

I know the TV world will not survive without a loyal viewer like me but I will not completely abandon my fellow TV-kind. I can spend my time watching 30 seconds of Fame where people exhibit talents they would normally not talk about in public. Watching discovery channel helped me find out that on the Titanic, the “Heart of the Ocean” actually existed. Not to mention the numerous dramas on Star Plus where a combination of a perfected Saas, magician Daadi , not so cute twins and a nauseatingly hyper husband appear every day every week to keep me busy throughout those lonely dreary reality-showless days.

No comments: